Monday 7 May 2012

Day 7: Celebrating Grime - Grime Veterans

To be honest with you my relationship with Grime has been a roller coaster of highs and lows.  I have been so proud to see the Grime scene develop over the last 10 years.  I began loving and supporting the  Grime scene in its early stage as it was a natural progression for Garage MCs seeking to spit more meaningful lyrics over a grittier beat rather than continuing with 'Olly Olly Olly, Oi, Oi Oi'.  About a year or so in to the scene, Grime became too violent in terms of lyrics and I just could not relate anymore.  I lost the emotional connection especially as an MC coming from North London.  I couldn't relate to guns and arms house and I'm gonna merk this and that so I decided to part ways.  However, saying that I still kept a close ear and listened to the  artists that I could relate to such as Crazy Titch, D Double E, Tinie Tempah, DaVinChe, Dizzee, Kano, Roll Deep, Boy Better Know, Ghetts, Lethal B, Bashy and Tinchy Stryder. These were the artists doing something different, creating a scene with a definite British and London stamp on it.  Talking in pounds and pence not dollars and cents these artists were making a difference.  I began to fall back in love with Grime about 3/4 years ago when I could see that, that generation of artist began to influence the younger artists paving the way for a new generation of Grime.  Anyway, without going on forever let's move onto one of my most recent favourite Grime tracks of all time.  UrbanVoice UK presents to you Grime veterans Ghetts and Tinchy Stryder with the track 'Grime Veterans'. It has been fun reminiscing about my most favourite Grime moments from the past 10 years and I have had some heated debates about the Grime scene this past week with my friends. I hope you have enjoyed the past 7 days of celebrating Grime as much as I have. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment